30 August 2013

Wicked Good Friends

For years, I have been an enormous fan of the musical Wicked.  I have read the book, seen the Broadway performance, and seen the touring group as well.  I love the music, the story, the creativity, and the message.  So, it was just a matter of time before I decided to write something about Wicked.

For those that aren’t familiar with this musical, congratulations!  There are so few people that recover from decade-long comas.  I am so glad that you arefeeling better, and that you have chosen my blog as part of your important catching up.  Let me give you the short background.  

Wicked was first conceived as a book by Gregory Maguire in 1995.  It is a retelling of the beloved “Wizard of Oz” that we all know from growing up.  However, this time, the story centers on Elphaba, the green witch from the East.  The premise of Wicked is that maybe Elphaba wasn’t evil.  Maybe she was someone trying to do good who had bad luck, or was just misunderstood.  And maybe the heroes from the original story weren’t as noble as we all thought.


The musical does a fantastic job of raising those questions.  Even better, it does so with captivating music and witty dialogue.  From the hilarious “Loathing” and “Popular” to the epic “Defying Gravity”, Wicked brings us into the story, and forces us to consider the “Wicked Witch” in a new way.  (I won’t spoil the ending any further – you need to see it!)

Now, I didn’t sit down to write a review today.  (You just got lucky to get that bonus feature.)  This year has included many short trips down “memory lane.”  I have reconnected with several long-time friends.  I have had close friends move away, which always rekindles old memories.  I have had opportunities to go through some of my old pictures and letters and keepsakes.  I even had a dear friend visit this summer after not having seen each other in 18 years.  More than anything, these trips down memory lane have reminded me of how many people have influenced who I am today.

At the end of Wicked, the two main characters sing my favorite number of the entire production: “For Good.”  The song is a duet between Elphaba (“Wicked Witch of the West”) and Glinda (“Good Witch of the North”).  Over the course of their lives, they have been friends and enemies.  This song is their last interaction, and they talk about the impact each has had on the other.  Since I doubt I can say it better, I have included the lyrics below.  (It is actually better to listen to it, so you might as well hit up youtube.  Still, it is easier to understand the words when you can see them.)

Elphaba:
I'm limited
Just look at me - I'm limited
And just look at you
You can do all I couldn't do, Glinda
So now it's up to you
For both of us - now it's up to you...
Glinda:
I've heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you...
Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good
Elphaba:
It well may be
That we will never meet again
In this lifetime
So let me say before we part
So much of me
Is made from what I learned from you
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine
By being my friend...
Like a ship blown from its mooring
By a wind off the sea
Like a seed dropped by a skybird
In a distant wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
Glinda:
Because I knew you
Both:
I have been changed for good
Elphaba:
And just to clear the air
I ask forgiveness
For the things I've done you blame me for
Glinda:
But then, I guess we know
There's blame to share
Both:
And none of it seems to matter anymore
Glinda:
Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood
Elphaba:
Like a ship blown from its mooring
By a wind off the sea
Like a seed dropped by a bird in the wood
Both:
Who can say if I've been
Changed for the better?
I do believe I have been
Changed for the better
Glinda:
And because I knew you…
Elphaba:
Because I knew you…
Both:
Because I knew you…
I have been changed for good

I have truly noticed over the past year how much of who I am is a result of the people I have known.  Some of these are friends and family that are still in my life, who, like the water rushing past a boulder, slowly shape and influence me.  Others are friends that I “may never meet again in this lifetime,” but who have still had a profound impact on how I think, how I see the world, and how I view myself and others.  

Just to be clear, this doesn’t mean all my short comings are somebody else’s fault.  I am perfectly capable of screwing up all on my own – as I have proved more often that I would like to have.  But the good that I have done, and the positive attributes that I possess (hopefully there are a few) have most certainly been cultivated by the amazing people I have known.

Sadly, I know that some of those who have played a role in my life will never read this message.  I have to hope that somehow in the past, I let them know.  For those of you that are reading it, thank you for making me who I am today.  “Who can say if I’ve been changed for the better? (I do believe I have been changed for the better.)  [But] because I knew you, I have been changed for good.”

No comments: